Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Such Sweet Sorrow

The trip is finally over. The last day in Tapachula, we rounded on our remaining patients, and then spent the rest of the day exploring the city. Tapachula is a bit different from a lot of cities I've visited in Mexico, in that there are almost no American or touristy places. It's also a good bit poorer, as is frequently seen in southern Mexico, meaning there are a lot of people making ends meet by selling wares on the street. We visited the museum in the town square which detailed the Olmec history of the area and its former glory. We ended the day with a dinner at the hotel and getting ready for the long trip back.

After a layover in Mexico City where we all said our goodbyes (except myself and Grant, we flew on the same plane to ATL), I finally made it back home intact. In all, we performed 44 cases in 5 days with few morbidities, no mortalities, and a boatload of memories to last a lifetime. I expanding my surgical armamentarium, refreshed my spirit, and grew as a person from this experience. I feel blessed and grateful for the opportunity given to me by IVU, GHO and CMDA. This trip has reaffirmed my decision to take care of those most in need, and my desire to do this at home and abroad.

I'm glad to be home amongst my friends and family, and I hope you enjoy the pics.

Peace, Love, Kelvin

~Kmoses

No comments:

Post a Comment