Monday, October 6, 2008

Back to Work

We left the hotel for the hospital at 7:30 this morning. We should have probably left at 6:30 but I guess the OR starts later here. We quickly got settled in. We were given sandals to wear with our scrubs. I was wearing white socks as opposed to the locals who wear just sandals in the OR. After feeling out of place for a while, I scratched the whole thing and went back to my Nikes. We had two OR tables in one room which was very efficient. My last patient was 11. I walked him into the OR and he didn’t bat an eye and the redo hypospadias patient laid out on the neighboring table. He never asked for his mom and didn’t even need root beer flavor in his facemask. Expectations are just different I guess.

We did have a productive day. We got eight cases done though were at the hospital until 7:30 this evening. Today was an Egyptian national holiday, Oct. 6th fittingly enough (to commemorate victory over Israel in the 1973(?) war), so we had a number of local urologists and residents who came by to watch us operate. I did one case with a peds surgery fellow and another with a local urology resident. It was nice to get to work with people from such different backgrounds.

Tomorrow calls for more of the same. I will eventually post some pics, hopefully before I return to the states.
Chip

~Croth

No comments:

Post a Comment