Sunday, January 20, 2008

Back to Accra

Saturday.

Another early morning after packing until late in the night. No breakfast and we hit the wards at 8 am. I am the IVU resident scholar. This means that my application was chosen amongst the many and the IVU paid from my travel to Ghana. My contribution to the Team has really been in rounding. Danielle Sweeney, the Pediatric Urology fellow, has been the most help in the OR. So it was my job to find the children when they got to the wards- remember who was who (with the help of cards that had their pictures on them), now what surgery was done and when, and when the catheters should come out. I also had to keep track of who had medical issues or needed labs. Pretty much the standard job of any resident. Just remembering who is who and who had what was a big part of it. Drs Schneck and Bellinger did the exams, removed bandages and took out catheters. Danielle had the hard job of preparing the doses of medications we gave out. She also managed the ICU patient we had.

The entire team came to round the last morning. The bins, now empty were packed in the bus. I found myself a little sad to leave some of the children, as I had gotten very found of the little ones and their mothers.

After that, some went to see the site of the sword of the Asente people which is right next to the hospital in front of the new trauma center which really is under construction. One final good bye to our host Dr. Aboah, and we drove out of KATH for the last time this year.

The sign over the Gate says “Good Bye and Stay Healthy”.

~Stephanya Shear

No comments:

Post a Comment